The Purpose of Operation Safe Child
Operation Safe Child was born from the growing national consciousness to do more to assist in the educational, moral, economic, and ethical development of young African-American children to stay on the right side of the law, grow, and become productive citizens.
In addition to helping children to develop safely into ethical and law abiding adults, the goals include: (1) Reducing the Crime Index in local communities; when the target students reach adolescence, a 10% reduction in the crime index per year, and (2) saving tax dollars and reducing property losses due to reduced criminal activity.
Developed in 2006, Operation Safe Child is similar to traditional programs like D.A.R.E. and G.R.E.A.T., but is more engaging and effective because of the implementation of
- affective components such as love of self, family, and community
- character development components such as honesty, integrity, and respect for others
- critical thinking components such assessing facts and forecasting consequences
- mnemonic components such as songs, jokes, and role playing
- parent and PTO components such as presentations and DVD’s